Friday, May 4, 2018

DIY Butterfly Wind Chime Dollar Store Crafts

For Mother's Day this year I went shopping for a wind chime for my mom's deck. 
Guess what, you guys? Nice wind chimes can be expensive if 
you want one in a larger size or theme!


Off I went to the Dollar Store. 
I knew there had to be something there I could use to MAKE a pretty 
wind chime that wouldn't break my budget. I bought...

five filigree metal butterflies with colored marble accents. 
The pretty colors seem to be powder coated 
and they are brushed with a coppery paint finish. 

A small silvery wind chime with purple plastic gems with a light tinkling sound.

A hanging planter basket so that I could use the light weight chains.
The hanging planter had 36" of chain, just the amount I needed!


 I grabbed a few things from my stash I thought would be useful but 
in the end didn't use much more than what I'd bought. 
I used some recycled wind chime parts and
 lightweight split rings in the end. 
Easy peasy!

The ring at the top is salvaged from an old metal planter 
and is far heavier than the rest of the components put together. 
It will last for years!


It is 30" long from top to bottom.
Oooh aaah!

Originally I added way more embellishments in the way of beads and 
bangles but it was way too confusing to the eye. So busy.


At least in this case, less is more. 
I dry brushed some copper Patio Paint over all the dark metal areas and it looks great.
                              I could not be happier with the way this wind chime turned out!





This special project for my mom cost less than $10 and a couple of hours of my time, most of that spent hanging things on and taking them off til I was finished. 

The tools I used were a pair of needle nose pliers and a pair of wire cutters. 

Next, I'm thinking of making some driftwood themed wind chimes using 
the bamboo wind chimes from...The Dollar Store!
Stay tuned for that blog post!


2 comments:

  1. I'm curious about your penny board. Is it magnetic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. That photos was taken on my penny countertop and then turned for the best view. I can see how you'd think it was magnetic, tho. That would be a cool project!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...