Monday, April 4, 2016

Thrift Store Dictionary and a $1 Cabinet

Let me start by saying that I LOVE books.
I have seven bookcases FULL in my home right now.

That said, I also love to use aged books
 in my projects and this outdated, trashed
 dictionary is no exception.

Upcycling an old book and restyling a cabinet? It's a match 
made in book and furniture recycling heaven.

This is one of my favorite projects!
Insanely Clever Christy is very methodical with the dictionary pages. I am more of a "tear it into random shapes" kind of gal. We knew this dictionary would be perfect for this project.


We found this solid wood cabinet for $1.

ONE DOLLAR! A SINGLE BUCK!

Ahem.

Finds like this are my number one reason for Thrift Store shopping.


After a thorough cleaning and two coats of Country White latex paint, the door panels get the book page treatment.

A bit of edge sanding give them a vintage vibe. 

Black spray paint updates the knobs and then creative wrapping 
of hemp twine  and hot glue for the edges and around the pulls
 gives it just the right touch!



Wow! I LOVE the way this came out!!




Clear acrylic sealer finished her up and now she is in our guest bathroom. 
She is a classy addition!

Best of all? The entire project cost us less than $5 total.

The old dictionary was $1.
The cabinet was $1.
The Mod Podge came from my stash.
The clear acrylic sealer was on clearance at $2.89.

Time invested....maybe four hours.

I call this one a win win!





And one of the best parts is that we still have most
 of this dictionary for MORE book page projects!

An old illustrated dictionary and a $1 thrift store cabinet. 
One of my most favorite projects EVER.


What's not to love? 

5 comments:

  1. Love it...definitely my style....I'd do the same thing in a heartbeat...especially if I found a cabinet for a buck!!!! good score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! It was a fun project...fast, cheap and a neat result!

      Delete
  2. You are my kind of girl, frugal and creative. That $1 dollar cabinet is the way I would go too, sure came out beautiful. I did a desk with the book pages and I loved the results. Good job.
    http://frugaliouschick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this! Thrift stores are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cupboard makeover is amazing! I love it! What a lovely blog, so glad I followed you here from mine. Cynthia Crane from TheCranesNest.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...