Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Wintry Snowflake Chandelier-Dollar Store Decor



!!!!!!






Okay, here is the early 90's brass and glass chandelier in my dining room. 
I'll give you a moment to bask in fond nostalgia.


Yeah, well, we're still living with this chandelier until I find exactly the right fixture and can wave a big ol' bag o' money at it, so right there it is going to stay. 
It's just so....brassy and perfectly functional and by the way, 
The Welding Man loves it just the way it is! 

So here are a couple of my ideas for coping with it's golden funkiness each season. 

Dollar Store to the rescue! 


Years ago I saw Martha Stewart's pretty hanging autumn wreath light and it stuck with me.
 So in October I decided to make my own version with several autumn leaf garlands around 
and around and around my light's brassy framework but
 without the candlelit mini pumpkins.
 
We tried it with and without the glass panes and the glass just 
gave it some extra shine at night, so they stayed. 


Ooh! I like it alot and it is a sure sign of Autumn in my house.

Come Christmas time and wintry weather,
 I hit my stash of Dollar Store decorations again and found 
many different styles and sizes of snowflakes. 

We took off the glass panes and hung the snowflakes willy nilly,
 just like they would be in a blustery winter storm.


With just a few icicle strands here and there and oooh! I like this alot, too! 

Even in the daytime in natural light the
 layered textures of silver, white, and glittery gold and 
silver pack a beautiful festive punch.

Even The Welding Man, who does not like it when I mess with "his" light, thinks that this is very pretty!


Note-If you hang enough Dollar Store snowflakes on a brass light fixture you can mostly hide it's golden shininess!


And kapow! Here she is all lit up! She is dazzling!

        


Ooh aah! So pretty! And with the cold, wet, rainy, snowy winter weather hanging on, I'm leaving these snowflakes on my chandelier at least until Easter!


Which version is better? Daytime or night time? I like them both but the daytime 
chandy looks more wintry to me. 

Go figure.

The Welding Man will be glad to know  I won't be replacing his chandelier anytime soon. 

But I can sure mess with it and make it pretty, can't I? 
 
And maybe I'll learn to appreciate it's brassy vintagey vibe? 

We'll just have to wait and see, lol!


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this tutorial. Can you imagine that we don't have a Dollar Store? We don't, so I'll have to find snowflakes elsewhere. No matter, I love that you added icicles; I have lots of those.

    I will have to spend some time looking at your blog. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever way to update an older light fixture. It gives me some wonderful ideas for my own home. I think what you’ve done with the chandelier makes it the perfect seasonal decoration. Thank you for the fun, creative ideas and giving me a new perspective on ways to update some furniture I've been hiding.

    Brandi Bradley @ Rotax Metals

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...