Friday, October 25, 2013

DIY Oversize Acorns for Autumn Decor

Ah Pinterest, you font of ideas and things I MUST MAKE right now! LOL
I love the huge acorns I've been seeing  at some online shops but they are hugely expensive, so I was thrilled to find a way to make my own.

Here are my oversize burlap and twine acorns that were inspired by a Pin.


I like how they came out!

Here are the inspiration acorns.....


...posted by Dannyelle over at Life Is a Party.

Cute and clever, right? They are totally up my alley and I had everything I needed to do this on a Friday night. Here's a link to her DIY post for these neat acorns.



                             

I spray painted some oversize plastic eggs brown and moved to the next step.

I hot glued the egg halves together, then glued on burlap circles to cover the pointy end. LOTS of pleating and glue makes this work. Then I took apart some pine cones and glued the bits around the top along with a twig stem to finish, just like Dannyelle.





Hmmmm. This resembles her acorns but not in a good way, LOL! She said in her post they were a bit fiddly and I agree. Plus my pine cone pieces did not give a neat look to the topper.
So, tweaking must occur.

     

I thought they looked a bit too long so I hot glued two of the fat ends together for a rounded shape. Already this looks more acorn-y. Is that a word? It is now. And instead of pine cone pieces I used twine. Lots and lots of twine, plus a shorter bit of stick for a stem.

Here's a shot of both kinds of my finished acorns....


I really like the short, round ones with a twine top. The other just does not look as good as Dannyelle's. Pinterest fail?



I used loads of wrapped twine for a fat top. Love it!




Ooh aah! It took me a little over an hour to make these, tweaking and all. And they were free since I crashed my stash for supplies. Love that!

I'll be joining the parties in my sidebar, come visit and have some fun.

3 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I love them! WIll have to look through my Easter decorations for eggs and make some of these.

    Lucy @ Patina Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty idea! Love them all! I have those plastic eggs somewhere in the closet... thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out great! I gave them a shout out! Hope to see you again this week at the party @DearCreatives Theresa

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...